Assembly Members Eric Houghtaling and Joann Downey are thrilled to see Governor Phil Murphy sign several key pieces of legislation they have sponsored and co-sponsored to implement common sense firearm regulations.
Gov. Murphy signed six pieces of legislation from the New Jersey Legislature on Wednesday, June 13. The bills include:
- S160/A1181 Requires firearms seizure when certain health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others.
- S2245/A2759 Adopts federal definition of armor piercing ammunition.
- S2259/A1217 "Extreme Risk Protective Order Act of 2018."
- S2374/A2757 Requires background check for private gun sales.
- S2376/A2758 Codifies regulations defining justifiable need to carry handgun.
- S102/A2761 Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
“As tragic shootings continue to make headlines, the need for increased gun regulations becomes increasingly urgent,” said Assemblyman Houghtaling. “These vital pieces of legislation respect our residents’ rights to access a firearm while protecting innocent New Jerseyans and, ultimately, saving lives.”
“We have lost far too many innocent lives to senseless gun violence that is ubiquitous throughout our communities here in New Jersey,” said Assemblywoman Downey. “This vital legislation is leading the way in gun safety and firearm regulations, which prioritize the lives of our residents and works to protect them. We hope to see other states follow suit.”