OCEAN TOWNSHIP - Senator Vin Gopal and Assembly Members Eric Houghtaling and Joann Downey today announced that pre-applications for the New Jersey COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (CVERAP), which will provide temporary rental assistance to low- and moderate-income households that have lost income or become unemployed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, will open for applicants at waitlistcheck.com/NJ559-2809 from 9:00 AM on Monday, July 6 to 5:00 PM on Friday, July 10.
If accepted for the program, applicants can receive up to six months of emergency rental assistance, which would be capped at the Department of Community Affairs' (DCA’s) fair market rent standard or the total amount of rent, whichever is less. All recipients of this funding would be reviewed after a 3-month interval to see if they are still in need of assistance.
All applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the program:
- You must have a gross, annual household income that is at or below the maximum income limits for the county where they will be residing.
- You must be a New Jersey resident and have a valid lease for a unit in New Jersey signed by your landlord.
- Your rent must be current as of March 2020; this program will not assist with arrears.
- You must have seen a substantial reduction in income or become unemployed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You must have a lack of assets or savings to pay rent.
- You must be willing to pay a minimum of 30% of your income towards your rent.
- You must be eighteen years of age or older to apply, or you must be an emancipated minor.
Only one pre-application per household will be accepted.
Applicants must have an email address to apply online. Applicants can visit waitlistcheck.com/NJ559-2809 to access the application once it becomes available. For more information, residents dial 609-292-4080 or 551-249-2687. Applicants can also visit the Department of Community Affairs' website at nj.gov/dca for information on the maximum income limits and an FAQ about this program.
During the Open Enrollment Period, any person who needs an accommodation, including anyone with a disability, with limited English proficiency, or who does not have internet access, can call 609-292-4080, Option 1 or 8 for assistance.
Any individual or household within New Jersey's 11th Legislative District that needs assistance applying for this or any other state program can submit a constituent services request form at tinyurl.com/LD11Help to receive assistance from the office of Senator Gopal and Assembly Members Houghtaling and Downey.